1 the state or condition of physical touching:
• the state or condition of communicating or meeting: Lewis and Clark came into contact with numerous river tribes | he had lost contact with his friends.
• [ as modifier ] activated by or operating through physical touch
• a connection for the passage of an electric current from one thing to another, or a part or device by which such a connection is made: a one-way electrical contact between a metal and a semiconductor.
• (contacts) contact lenses.
2 a meeting, communication, or relationship with someone: they have forged contacts with key people in business.
• a person who may be communicated with for information or assistance, esp. with regard to one's job: Francie had good contacts.
• a person who has associated with a patient with a contagious disease (and so may carry the infection).
verb |ˈkänˌtakt, kənˈtakt| [ with obj. ]
communicate with (someone), typically in order to give or receive specific information.